Rosil



“It’s been said that when you die your life flashes before your eyes.  If that’s true then I die every night in my sleep.  Every time I close my eyes the nightmare begins again.  All the lives I’ve taken, all the faces, all the pleas for mercy, everything, it all comes flooding back.”
“I have often wondered if it’s true for those I’ve killed.  For those that died instantly without warning, was there a flash?  For those that died slow and very painful, was there a flash for them as well or was the pain to great, overshadowing the sins they were atoning for?”
“It’s a shame I will never find out.”
“Why do you say that,” a nervous voice answered, unable to look away from the soft golden eyes staring deep into her soul.
“Because in seven thousand years I have yet to figure out how to die.”
A small dagger pierced the woman’s chest, just below the heart, causing her to gasp for air, rendering her unable to respond to what she just heard.
“Now my dear,” the assassin whispered softly, “shall we explore for your listeners whither or not your life will flash before your eyes?”
The woman gasped for air, trying to speak but no sound could escape her body.
“Save your strength my dear, the more you struggle the more pain you will experience.  The wound I gave you will kill you but it will kill you slowly.”  Sliding off of her lap, the assassin stood up and turned toward the microphone in front of them.  “You will die at the end of your show.  Shall we begin?”

1 comment:

  1. Chapter 1

    “Good evening. Sorry your regular host can not come to the mic right now. Currently she’s sitting in a chair across from me, slowly bleeding to death, answering for past crimes that have finally caught up with her.”
    “Tonight I thought we would try something different. Don’t bother trying to call in, the phone lines have all been disconnected. Also, don’t try to find our location because, like she says every night, this location is well hidden in the mountains, so you won’t be able to find us. Since tonight’s show won’t have any interaction I thought I would tell you a story.”
    “Memories are a funny thing. Most people can only remember glimpses of their childhood, most starting around age five or six. My earliest memory, however, is from the day I died, which is the same day I was born. I guess in a way you can say I died before I took my first breath.”
    “My mother, my birth mother, was attacked in the market place of Uruk by bandits drunk on lust. Despite me growing in her belly, men were still drawn to her, the curse of her beauty. Even though she was ready to give birth to me these swine cornered her and tried to violate her.”
    “But my mother was strong, possessing the spirit of a warrior. She fought back, killing one of the bandits. She tried to escape but could not run fast with me slowing her down. A sword through her back slowed her down even further.”
    “My mother managed to escape before they could do anything else to her. She laid in a dark alley, her breathing slowing to mere gasps. I could hear the beat of her heart barely pounding. My heart too was beginning to slow. Fear began to consume us both as our bodies grew colder.”
    “I’m sorry my child,” my mother whispered, rubbing me, trying to sooth my fear.”
    “Hush,” a strong deep voice came out of nowhere, “it will all be over in just a mo…”
    “Upon seeing my mother, her beauty wasting away, the god Nergal instantly fell in love and could not take her last breath.”
    “Shhh,” he cooed as he knelt down to scoop us up into his large beastly arms. “I shall save you.”

    ReplyDelete